Hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO) - (Greek hyper- + baros weight, lat. Oxygenium oxygen) is a method of saturation of the body with oxygen under increased pressure with a preventive or curative purpose.
The essence of the therapeutic effect of HBO is that when physical saturating the body tissues (blood, lymph, intercellular fluid) with oxygen, its delivery to organs and cells increases significantly. This leads to the elimination of general and local oxygen starvation caused by the disease.
The HBO sessions are carried out in the single-seat pressure chambers (medical pressure devices), where in pressurized conditions an increased oxygen pressure is created. In the chamber, the patient is placed in a horizontal position on the back, inhaling the healing oxygen. During the procedure, he can sleep. The therapeutic effect of HBO gradually increases from session to session and persists for a fairly long time after the end of the course of treatment.
The HBO procedure lasts 40 minutes. The optimal course of treatment is 6-10 sessions.
Before the procedure, the patient is examined by a cardiologist of the Hyperbaric Oxygenation Department of the Institution "Gomel Regional Clinical Cardiology Center". During the session the patient is in the pressure chamber under continuous supervision of the doctor and the department nurse.
It is proved that persons receiving HBO courses 2 times a year rarely suffer from acute respiratory disease, influenza, are less susceptible to allergic and purulent-inflammatory diseases, have a longer remission during chronic diseases.
In sports medicine, the results have been received in terms of increasing the level of fitness of athletes and accelerating recovery after training loads.
The patients who have been undergone the course of HBO note increase in working capacity and stabilization of the psychoemotional state, decrease in intake of various medications.
Effects of HBO
· Reparative effect (accelerated healing of trophic ulcers, postoperative wounds, formation of bone callus after fractures and injuries).
· Pharmacological effect (increasing of effect of a number of drugs and reducing of their adverse reactions - antibiotics, cardiac glycosides, diuretics, etc.).
· Vasopressor effect (reducing of intracranial pressure, removing of cerebral edema, improving of cerebral circulation in the affected area).
· Antibacterial effect (suppression of vital activity of anaerobic microorganisms).
· Immune-correcting effect (increasing of immunoprotective properties of the body, stimulation of the body's immune response to the action of pathogenic microflora).
· Rejuvenating effect.
· Detoxification effect (sciccion of toxic compounds in case of poisoning with coal gas, methyl alcohol, etc.).
· Anti-stress effect (elimination of mental and physical fatigue, improving of sleep, reducing of irritability, feelings of fear, etc.).
Spectrum of diseases in which the application of the HBO method is justified
· Cardiac pathology: angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrhythmias, cardiac insufficiency, decompensation of post-infarction states, etc.
· Vascular pathology: obliterating diseases of the vessels of extremities, trophic ulcers, varicose disease, conditions after surgical treatment.
· Pathology of nervous system: ischemic stroke, cerebral vascular pathology, craniocerebral trauma, metabolic encephalopathy, peripheral nerve palsies, multiple sclerosis, osteochondrosis, facial nerve neuralgia.
· Pathology of gastrointestinal tract: peptic ulcer of stomach and duodenum, intestinal diseases, chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis, acute and chronic pancreatitis, disfunction of gallbladder.
· Pathology of endocrine system: thyroid gland diseases, diabetes mellitus and its complications, diabetic neuroangiopathy, obesity.
· Eye pathology: disturbed circulation of eye retina, diabetic retinopathy, etc.
· Maxillofacial pathology: periodontal disease, necrotic gingivitis and stomatitis, healing after plastic surgery.
· ENT pathology: Miner's disease, vestibulopathy, perceptive hearing loss, acute cochlear neuritis.
· Gynecological diseases and obstetrics: endometriosis, acute and chronic adnexitis, problems of pregnant women - threatened miscarriage, toxicoses of pregnant women, fetal hypoxia, infertility of various etiologies.
· Pathology of genitourinary system: prostatitis and decreased potency in men, chronic cystitis, glomerulonephritis.
· Rheumatic diseases: rheumatoid arthritis, vasculitis, sclerodermia, systemic lupus erythematosis,
· Skin lesions: psoriasis, furunculosis, etc.
Contraindications to HBO sessions
1. Presence of a history of epilepsy;
2. Presence of residual cavities (caverns, abscesses and air cysts) in the lungs;
3. Severe forms of arterial hypertension (blood pressure values above 169/90 mm Hg);
4. Blockage of eustachian tubes and canals connecting the paranasal sinuses with the external environment (polyps and inflammatory processes in the nasopharynx, middle ear, paranasal sinuses).
5. Claustrophobia (fear of being locked-in).